Physical Education in the Primary School
Holy Rosary encourages team spirit and school pride in their sports programme. We strive to foster physical fitness and well-being. Sport is an important part of the school’s
all-encompassing and balanced education which develops body, soul and mind.
At Holy Rosary, not only do we embrace sport in the physical sense, but we combine it with mental strength and vitality. Every sport is linked to lessons taught through Life Orientation, helping girls to understand what it means to be truly healthy and fit.
In the Primary School the girls are encouraged to be involved in a variety of sports on different levels. Sport is compulsory from Grade 3 to Grade 7 and the girls may choose to participate at a competitive level (in a team) or on a social level.
Extra Mural Sport in the Primary School
- Swimming plays a big role in the life of Holy Rosary as we believe that swimming is a skill for life.
- Holy Rosary Tennis teams compete admirably in local tournaments and our resident coach is available every afternoon for extra lesson.
- Our 8 Hockey teams successfully participate in the Private Schools friendly league and every year sees provincial representation by several Holy Rosary Girls.
- We are proud to be able to field 10 Netball teams of which our U12 and U10 teams won their pools and qualified for play offs. Holy Rosary hosts two major netball tournament drawing schools from surrounding areas.
- Athletics and X-Country form an integral part of the fitness component of Sport at Holy Rosary.
- Rowing is offered to the Grade 6 and Grade 7 learners.
House Events in the Primary School
Every child in the Primary School represents their house in Hockey, swimming, athletics, netball and tennis. The true camaraderie and spirit are rewarded with the presentation of a House Spirit Trophy.